Releasing critical software requires significant resources and capabilities- but challenges arise when those same resources and capabilities are siloed across an organization. Common experiences include:
- Slower release cycles
- Inconsistent infrastructure usage
- Deliverable quality concerns
- Security concerns
- Solution stability post-release
To minimize these challenges, organizations should consider an Agile approach like DevSecOps, which standardizes procedures and tools across their enterprise.
DevSecOps as a Service
Applying an enterprise mindset like DevSecOps empowers developers across projects. Acquisition, policies, and platforms for software delivery are standardized, ensuring the focus is on delivering mission-critical software at the speed and efficiency of an organization’s needs. Because all tools required to support continuous integration/delivery are prepackaged with a predefined set of services, any team is able to start building applications with zero downtime.
How Does DevSecOps Work?
By bringing together software development processes and automation, DevSecOps leads to faster release cycles, thoroughly tested, stable, and reliable code, and deliveries that meet security requirements and that stand up to the demands of mission-critical use.
Platform One Accelerates Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery (CI/CD)
Platform One is the first enterprise-level service to accelerate deployments and serve as a model for open architecture services across the Department of Defense (DoD). It is composed of approved, hardened, Cloud-Native Computing Foundation (CNCF) compliant technologies, including but not limited to:
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- AWS Outpost
- Azure Stack
- Kibana (EFK)
For more information about what technologies are currently available on Platform One, please visit their website here.
Additional Services: Platform One
Additional services Platform One offers are multiple value streams, including but not limited to:
- Iron Bank – DoD Centralized Artifacts Repository (DCAR)- A repository of digitally signed, binary container images including both Free and Open-Source Software (FOSS) and Commercial off-the-shelf (COTS)
- Party Bus – ABMS All Domain Common Environment (ADCE) - Continuous improvement/ deployment (CI/CD) for multi-tenant environments that is perfect for smaller or medium-sized teams.
- Big Bang - Platform One Dedicated DevSecOps Environments to build, deliver and operate custom IAC and Configuration as Code (CAC)
For more information on Platform One offered services, please visit their website here.
Our Role in Platform One Teams and Services
RevaComm has staffed and contributed to many of the programs teams and initiatives:
- Big Bang
- Iron Bank
- Mission DevOps
- Cloud-Native Access Point
- Design Guild
- Technical Writing/Documentation Management
- Cyber Applications
- Party Bus Onboarding/Operations
- Platform One Cybersecurity
We codify and implement the full DoD Enterprise DevSecOps Reference Design with specific expertise in the below areas.
Software Factory Interconnect Expertise
- Sidecar Container Security Stack (SCSS)
- Service Mesh (Istio)
- Locally Centralized Artifact Repository
- CNCF Certified Kubernetes (K8s)
- Cloud-Native Access Point (CNAP)
Pipeline Security Tools
- Code Scanning
- Container Scanning
- Configuration Scanning
- Autoscaling Groups
- Node pools
- Event Monitoring and time series visualizations
- Log Monitoring
- Microservice tracing and mapping of the service mesh
Other Security Best Practices
- Mature CV handling and processes
- Incorporate security principles into the Cloud infrastructure, Kubernetes cluster, and Cloud platforms, such as defense-in-depth, reducing potential attack surfaces, least-privilege access, etc.
- SELinux, STIG, Network Policy, Service Mesh (Istio), Zero Trust
- Minimize blast radius using taint and tolerations
Multi-Cloud Support / Hybrid Cloud
- Cloud-agnostic tooling (i.e., Keycloak, MinIO)
How RevaComm Can Help
We have been a part of Platform One’s journey since its inception, and we continue to provide customer-focused support with strong capabilities in Human-Centered Design- our team is fully integrated with FTEs on all four of their value streams. Now as a Platform One Authorized Reseller, RevaComm can support enterprise scaling through automation to support all DoD agencies.
As an organization, RevaComm has participated in several projects that have expanded both DoD capability and our collective skillset and depth of knowledge, including:
- U.S. Air Force LevelUp Mission: A mission dedicated to the pursuit of reimagining and transforming capabilities by providing localized software solutions.
- Platform One- Platform as a Service (PaaS): Provides organizations CI/CD DevSecOps pipelines on a secure Kubernetes platform, accelerating modern application development for the DoD.
- Puckboard: A live, collaborative scheduling platform for military service members worldwide, secured under the IL4 environment and available for tablet, phone, and desktop.
Our Agile approach deeply integrates software engineering and DevSecOps to enable federal, state, and local government agencies to become faster, smarter, and more resilient. Contact us today to see how our team can help with your software and delivery projects.